Saturday, November 6, 2010

Farmer's Breakfast

This is one of my most favorite breakfasts. Seriously. It is low in fat, sugar-free, gluten-free, and it keeps me full all morning long.

1 bag cubed frozen hash browns
6 slices turkey bacon
1/2c finely chopped onion
1/2c finely chopped green peppers
1c. shredded cheddar cheese
4 eggs

Drizzle just enough olive oil in a pan to cover the bottom. Add potatoes, onions & peppers and cook until done.

While the potatoes are cooking, cook the turkey bacon on a skillet (or you can use your george foreman grill like I do). When done, cut the bacon into small pieces.

Add bacon to the potato mixture and stir well.

Scramble your 4 eggs and cook in skillet. When done add to the potato and bacon mix. Stir well.

Sprinkle cheese over the top and let sit, covered, with the heat turned off to let the cheese melt.




You can also use 4 cups diced fresh potatoes instead of the frozen if you choose. The thought of peeling and chopping all those potatoes makes me cringe, so I'll stick to the frozen. ha

I have also made this recipe using sausage instead of bacon. Yummy!

If you want to add more color to your breakfast, use red, yellow, and/or orange peppers along with, or instead of the green peppers.

This recipe is great to make up the night before and then reheat in the skillet in the morning. Top with cheese, and voila, a great breakfast for the family.

Or, if you're really pressed for time, or just want individual servings, I have made the recipe, minus the cheese. I then divided the food in the skillet into 6 freezer baggies and freeze them. In the morning I pop one in the microwave oven for 1 minute so the food will come out of the baggie easily. Then I put it back in the microwave for 3-4 min, until heated through. I sprinkle the cheese on top and put back in the microwave for 30 seconds to melt the cheese. It tastes just as good as when first made, and in less than 5 minutes it's ready, which is great for those crazy busy mornings.

No comments:

Post a Comment